I don’t know about you but when I decide to go out to eat, where I go depends on what mood I’m in.
- Burger – I’m probably heading to a bar or pub.
- Fish - I’m going to a seafood place
- Steak - Has to be a steakhouse they almost always have the best cuts of beef.
- Pasta - Italian, what can I say?
- Sushi - You have to go to a specialty place for this. I don’t mess around with raw fish.
What I do know is that if I want Chinese food I’m not going to the Italian restaurant and if I want sushi, I’m definitely not going to a pub.
Sometimes when I’m going out for eat I can’t decide what I’m in the mood for. I have a couple of restaurants that I frequent just for these occasions. I know that I’ll get some good food at these place but they don’t specialize in a certain type of food. These restaurants won’t necessarily satisfy a craving I have but they will fill me up. By understanding this it really saves me from being disappointed.
Are you a fan of buffets?
What I notice about buffets is that I’m definitely going to get full but I’m really not going to have any really good food. It depends on what you value, quality or quantity. Buffets help you find instant gratification but they don’t give you any real quality of food.
Your Financial Planner
Is he your financial buffet? From my experience, most financial planners specialize in certain areas.
- Investments - wealth managers that charge a percentage of assets under management
- Life, disability & LTC insurance – insurance specialists that are paid on commissions
- Auto, homeowners & liability insurance – property and casualty firms that are paid on commissions
- Holistic plan – financial planner that looks at your full financial picture, could be compensated a few different ways
- Taxes – an accountant that is usually paid by the hour or a flat fee
- Wills & Trusts – an attorney that is usually paid by the hour or a flat fee
Just as there are more types of food than I listed there are a lot more financial areas that you have, and will continue to have to, make decisions about. Unfortunately, the easiest solution (a buffet) isn’t always the best. If you are looking to have quality service and quality advice you just might need to deal with a few different specialists in the areas of your finances that need the most attention.
Your financial planner might be a buffet. They have a ton to offer but none of it is really any good. They will fill you up with a bunch of crap though. Is that what you want?